The Utah Pipe Organ Encounter took place July 25-30, 2016, in Salt Lake City.
The Utah Pipe Organ Encounter offered teenagers a rewarding opportunity to learn more about the pipe organ and its construction, receive instruction from experienced faculty, participate in visits to hear and play outstanding instruments on Temple Square and prominent organs in local churches, and the chance to meet and interact with peers who share a mutual interest in the “King of Instruments.”
Voices from Pipe Organ Encounter 2016
Read experiences of some of the youth who attended Pipe Organ Encounter 2016 in Salt Lake City.
The Traditional Pipe Organ Encounter…
- Is a 4-5 day event organized by a local AGO chapter under the sponsorship of the national organization. It introduces participants to the world of the pipe organ.
- Is a national program sponsored by the American Guild of Organists. Students are admitted to POEs on a first-come, first-served basis, regardless of attendance at prior POEs, and regardless of state or country of residence, as long as they meet the following eligibility guidelines: Students should be aged 13-18, be interested in the pipe organ, and have piano or organ proficiency ranging from intermediate to advanced.
- Provides an opportunity for students to have individual and group instruction in the basic rudiments of pipe organ technique and service playing.
- Provides a general overview of organ literature, history, pipe organ construction and design, improvisation and other related topics.
- Provides an opportunity for participation in ecumenical worship, so as to experience the role of the sacred musician.
- Most of all, provides a unique opportunity for participants to meet and interact with peers who have similar interests.