- This event has passed.
Annual Christmas Informal Recital
December 10, 2020 @ 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm
December’s Challenge: Record a Piece for the Christmas Informal
This month we invite the chapter to celebrate Christmas organ music on Thursday, December 10, at 7:00 pm. Chapter members have recorded videos of their performances of favorite Christmas pieces. We will view the videos together in a Facebook Watch Party, or you can watch them on YouTube.
How to Watch: The Watch Party will begin at 7:00 p.m. on Facebook. (You will need a Facebook account to participate.) In order to be notified that we are going live, it will be necessary for you to “Like” or “Follow” the Utah Valley AGO Facebook page. Or, just go to the page at 7:00 p.m. and watch. Here’s the link: https://www.facebook.com/utahvalleyago.
Instructions on how to “Like” the page:
- Go to the Page.
- Click Like below the Page’s cover photo.
- When you like a Page, you automatically follow it, which means that you may see updates from that Page in News Feed.
To follow a Page:
- Go to the Page.
- Click then click Follow.
- When you follow a Page, you may see updates from that Page in News Feed.
If you choose to “Like” or “Follow” the page, once the Watch Party starts, you will receive a notification that we are going live. The videos are also featured on the chapter’s YouTube channel. Click here to watch the Informal on YouTube, including a playlist of the Christmas Informal videos.
We invite you to prepare a favorite or new Christmas piece to share with the chapter at our annual Christmas Informal. The informal will be online this year, so we are asking you to record and upload your video (instructions below). The chapter will watch the videos of the Christmas pieces together on Thursday, December 10, at 7:00 pm as a Facebook Watch Party. The deadline for the video submissions is November 23
How to record your video for the Christmas Informal
1. Choose the piece you would like to play. If you are looking for a new piece to try, check out free pieces, most in public domain, on IMSLP in the “Scores Featuring the Organ”and the “Scores Featuring the Organ (arr)”categories. Try a title search for “Christmas,” “Noel,” and “Carol.”
- your name,
- the title of the piece,
- name of the composer,
- the title of the volume (if you are playing a piece in a book),
- the publisher of the sheet music,
- the date the sheet music was published.
For example: Chloe Smith plays “Silent Night” by Jim Kasen (Christmas Postludes, Vol. 1, Jackman Music, 2004).
3. Make a video recording of you playing the Christmas piece that you would like to share with the chapter at the Christmas Informal. The videos will be shared on the chapter’s YouTube channel and a Facebook Watch Party on Thursday, December 10, at 7:00 pm.
- Here are some tips about recording on mobile devices from an AGO webinar.
- If you would like help recording your piece, please contact UVAGO board member Margo Wilcox ().
- Please record in one of the following video formats: MOV, MPEG4, MP4, AVI, WMV, FLV, 3GPP.
4. After the video is ready, you will upload the recorded video to the chapter’s Google Drive account by November 23. Look for instructions in the November newsletter on how to upload your video.
How to upload your video to the chapter’s Google Drive account
NOTE: Once you’ve uploaded your video to the chapter’s Google Drive account, DeeAnn Stone will upload it to the chapter’s YouTube channel.
1. Upload the recorded video from a computer or smartphone to your personal Google Drive account. (Supported video formats: MOV, MPEG4, MP4, AVI, WMV, MPEGPS, FLV, 3GPP, WebM.)
2. Access your Google Drive account and go to “My Drive” or “Recent.”
3. Find and select the uploaded video file. Before you share the file to the chapter’s Google Drive account, be sure to rename the file how you want it to appear at YouTube. Find and click “Share.”
4. When the box comes up that says “Share with people and groups,” type (or copy and paste) in the area that says “Add people and groups.”
5. Create a message or description of your piece, if desired, and click the post button.